This is more like a traveller movie. Throughout the movie, japanese pop/rock songs can be heard. The journey starts in Tokyo and shows the neon lights of Akihabara, the "electric town" and then heads off to the emperor's palace. After that, Yokohama's famous china town is shown. Kamakura is also part of the trip and shows some historic buildings and a free concert at the beach. Back in Tokyo I found a small street festival while trying to get around with no map. Near the end, one of the most stylish parts of Tokyo, Roppongi Hills, rounds up the movie.
- My first film in NTSC.
- The announcements on train stations and escalators were having a deep impact on me - even after four months I could still repeat some of them :-)
- During my holiday trip I often got lost on purpose. Therefore I didn't see many fellow tourists but I got many pictures and video shots of these places.
- There was a free concert at the beach of Kamakura. A two man band played songs, made some jokes and was filmed by four professional cameras.
- In order to separate the scenes, I used japanese tv ads.
- Ever wondered how Yokohama would look through the "eyes" of ice cream? An exclusive group of Japanese were shown what the "ice cream perspective" is.
- Shot in August, 2004. Average temperature: 32 degrees celsius!
- Unfortunately, I could't film my dramatic five minutes on Sega's walk the dog arcade game in Yokohama.
- David Beckham and his pals from Real Madrid are shown after the end credits. At that time they were doing a tour in Japan to promote their club. Honestly, the japanese female kickers from Really? Madrid were much better players ;-).
- Parts of the Japanese tv program were captured with the digital camera - the quality is unfortunately not that great.
- Fluffy toys in Japan? I used parts of the movie for the Japanese version of Christmas Music (Kurisumasu Ongaku).
- Parts of the film are also frequently re-used to illustrate video effects for the Mac Life cover CD.
J 2004, 29 Min.
Setting: Tokyo, Kamakura, Yokohama, Frankfurt
Music: Ambivalence (Every Little Thing), NEED YOU (waffles), Furusato (Morning Musume), by myself - Slow (hitomi), Telefon! Rin Rin Rin! (Mini Moni), Rhythm (Garnet Crow)
Format: NTSC MiniDV
Cut: Digital, iMovie 3
Camera: Matthias Jaap
Length of raw material: ca. 90 Minuten.
Actors: many innocent Japanese